Prep: 30 mins – Cook: 30 mins
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (roughly 4 cups diced)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup onion, diced small
- 2 serrano chilis, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (cayenne)
- 1/3 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- few tbsp of water
- Blend the following in a food processor:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 chipotle in adobo peppers (from a small can)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder/cayenne
Additional Items needed:
- 6 Flour Tortillas
- 8 oz package shredded mexican blend cheese
- oil as needed
To Cook the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, spices and sweet potatoes together and mix well. Emtpy onto a large rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven for about 16-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are completely fork tender and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Black Beans
- Heat a pot over medium high eat and add oil. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for about 30 seconds. Next add the diced serranos, stir quickly and then add the diced onions. Cook the onions until they’re transluelcent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, stir until just fragrant and then add the rinsed black beans along with the taco seasoning, cumin powder, and chili powder. Stir well to comine. If the seasonings begin to stick and the pot looks dry, add 2-3 tbsp of water (just enough to get the beans to be a little wet and to scrape up any of the spices from the bottom of the pot). Cook the black beans on low heat for about 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat , add the cilantro and then use a potato masher to mash the beans slightly (you dont want them into a puree). Set aside.
Assemble the Burritos: (you can also make these into quesadillas layering in the same way as the burritos )
- Layer a flour tortilla first with 1.5 tbsp of the chipotle sauce, then top with cheese, top with a few spoonfuls of the black bean mixture, then a few spoonfuls of the sweet potoates, and then more cheese. Roll into a burrito shape and place them flap side down until you’re ready to grill them.
- On a flat griddle or pan heat about 1 tsp of oil over medium high heat and place the rolled burritos on the skillet. Let the bottom get golden brown and then gently flip and brown on the tops (you may have to hold them together with two spatulas so they don’t lose shape or fall apart). Once they’re golden on both sides, remove from heat.
- Serve with extra chipotle sauce on the side and enjoy!
This recipe and photos were created by TheChutneyLife.com, we just shared it! Check them out for more awesome ideas!
One thought on “Sweet Potato, Black Bean And Chipotle Sauce Burrito Recipe”