- 1kg cooking apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 500g eating apple, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 450g onion, sliced
- 50g fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 500g granulated sugar
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 500g cranberry
- Place all ingredients except cranberries in a large heavy-based saucepan, then gently heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 50 mins, stirring regularly until the apples and onions are tender, the mixture has thickened and no watery juice remains.
- Add the cranberries, then cook for a further 10 mins or so until just softened but not burst.
- Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal. Store unopened in a cool, dark place. The chutney will keep for up to 6 months. Chill on opening.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by BBCGoodFood.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!