- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total: 25 mins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cups (1 pound) frozen shredded hash browns (or 2 medium russet potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus a sprinkle more
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- For the garnish: Salsa, fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook the hash browns: Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof or cast iron skillet and add the hash browns, flipping occasionally until browned. At 6 minutes, add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, fennel seeds, and kosher salt. Cook another about 6 minutes until browned, continuing to flip so they don’t stick.
- Add the cheese and eggs: Reduce the heat to low. Add the green onions (reserving a handful for the garnish) and cheese and mix it in. Make divots for the eggs (all the way down to the bare pan) and add 1/4 tablespoon butter into each well. Crack 1 egg into each well, and top each with a pinch of kosher salt. Add a sprinkle of additional shredded cheese on top.
- Cook the eggs on the stovetop: Increase the heat to medium low and cook for 3 minutes on the stove. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
- Finish in the broiler: Transfer the skillet to the broiler and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the whites of the eggs are set.
- Serve: Garnish with salsa, the reserved green onions, and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by ACoupleCooks.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!
One thought on “Breakfast Skillet Recipe”