Prep: 15 mins – Cook: 30 mins – Total 45 mins
- 2 tablspoon olive oil ( or butter)
- 1 lbs scrubbed carrots- cut into 1/2 inch disks
- ½ a large onion- diced ( 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves-smashed
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup yogurt or sour cream ( or vegan yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley ( or sub more cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- Zest from 1/2 lemon ( about 1 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes -or more for spicier
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy bottom pot, saute onion, cumin seeds and smashed garlic in oil, on medium high heat until golden and tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrots, chicken stock, salt, white pepper, bay leaves and bring to a vigorous simmer. Cover and simmer on med low heat for 20 minutes or until carrots are easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Let cool slightly.
- Make the Chermoula: Toast the spices in dry skillet over medium until fragrant and golden. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined into a paste, but not too smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender until silky smooth.
- Place back in the pot and stir in sour cream and maple syrup. Adjust salt and spice level. (Keeping in mind Chermoula will add a LOT of flavor.) Keep warm on low heat until serving.
- Divide among bowls, and add a spoonful of chermoula, swirling it in a circle. Add more yogurt or sour cream if you like.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by FeastingAtHome.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!