Prep: 20 mins – Cook: 30 mins – Total: 50 mins
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped white mushroom caps
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground annatto
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup mushroom broth, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups BBQ-sauce
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- minced cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they’re soft and browned, approximately 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the gluten, garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, annatto, onion powder and salt until fully combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F and lightly oil a 9 x 9 -inch square pan.
- Put the mushrooms, broth, beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, tomato paste, and peanut butter in a food processor or a high-powered blender and blend for approximately 1 minute or until smooth and creamy. Pour it into the dry mixture and stir until it turns into a stretchy ball of dough. Knead or about 1 minute.
- Pat the dough flat so it spreads evenly in then pan until it reaches all four corners. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cut in half lengthwise. Use a sharp knife and score (don’t cut all the way through) the ribz horizontally, about 1 inch thick. Each half should look like a rack or ribs.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet on medium-high heat and brush with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Slather the sauce on all sides of the ribz and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until you see grill marks or a browned surface.
- Use extra BBQ sauce for dipping. Serve with sliced jalapeño peppers and minced cilantro for extra flavor.
These delicious vegan BBQ ribs and photos were created by VeganHeaven.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!