Prep: 15 mins – Cook: 90 mins – Total: 105 mins
- 1 1/2 cups cream, full fat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 30g / 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1.25 kg / 2.5 lb starchy potatoes, Russet, Sebago, Maris Piper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups gruyere cheese (or mozzarella), freshly grated yourself
- 2 tsp thyme leaves, fresh (optional – but highly recommended)
- Cream Mixture: Place butter, cream and garlic in a jug. Mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Slice potatoes: Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8″/3 mm thick. Or use a slicer!
- Layer 1: Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Note 3), then pour over 1/3 of the Cream Mixture, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
- Layers 2 & 3: Repeat for the 2nd and third layer, but do not finish with cheese on the top layer (will add later).
- Cover & bake: Cover with lid or foil, and bake for 1 hr 15 min or until the potatoes in the middle are soft (use knife to test).
- Top with cheese, bake again: Remove foil, top with cheese. Bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes until golden and bubbly. Stand 5 minutes before serving.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by RecipeTinEats.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more great ideas!