- Serves 4
- 15 mins to prepare and 35 mins to cook
- 740 calories / serving
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1tsp coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1 x 14 ounce can tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 x 1 ounce fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 ounce fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 17 ounces beef mince
- 1.5 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- couscous, to serve
- plain yogurt, to serve
- pitta bread warmed, to serve
- First make the sauce. Heat a dash of oil in a pan and soften the onions, garlic and spices for a few minutes. Put half of the mixture in a bowl to cool for the meatballs. Add the tomatoes and sugar to the remaining onions in the pan, season and simmer for about 15 mins until reduced.
- Add the herbs, egg, beef mince and the breadcrumbs to the cooled onions, then season and mix everything well with your hands. Shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Heat the rest of the oil and fry the meatballs until golden. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for a few minutes until they’re cooked through.
- Serve with couscous, a spoonful of yogurt and some pitta bread that’s been warmed through.
- In order to enjoy optimum flavor and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date.
- Always defrost and heat thoroughly before eating. Never re-freeze food that has already been frozen; this includes raw and cooked ingredients such as meat, fish and poultry.
- This recipe is perfect for making in large batches and freezing to use at a later date.
This condensed recipe was first found on Realfood.Tesco.com. Thank you for sharing!