Prep: 15 mins – Cook: 20 mins – Total: 35 mins
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- one onion, diced ( see instructions in notes, if roasting)
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/4 th of an apple, sliced
- 1 lbs parsnips, washed and sliced to 1/2 inch thick disks
- 4 cups stock- veggie or chicken
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half and half or vegan cream (all optional- see notes)
Garnish: toasted hazelnuts ( or walnuts), crushed. A drizzle of hazelnut oil (optional). Thyme sprigs.
Stovetop version: ( see notes for roasted version)
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute until fragrant and golden, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and apples. Saute 2-3 more minutes until frgrant.
- Add parsnips and stock and salt. Give a stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until parsnips are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
- Turn heat off and puree either using an immersion blender or regular blender ( blend in batches) until smooth. Place back in the pot over low heat.
- Whisk in the cardamom and white pepper, add the cream. Taste and adjust the saltand spices to your liking.
- Serve in bowls with crushed toasted haselnuts. A little drizzle of hazelnut oil is nice if you have it too. Top with a thyme sprig. Enjoy!
This delicious recipe and photos were created by FeastingAtHome.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!