Prep: 15 mins – Cook: 8 hrs – Total: 8 hrs 15 mins
- 5 lb pork butt roast
- 6-7 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10-11 cloves, ground
- Whole head of garlic, about 12 cloves
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in large pot over med-high heat. Brown meat, about 2-3 minutes per side. (optional)
- Crush cloves with mortar and pestle.
- Blend all sauce ingredients, other than bay leaves, in grinder or food processor. (optional)
- Add pork to crock pot and cover with sauce. Cook 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
- Shred pork with forks and mix well with sauce.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by GypsyPlate.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more great ideas!
Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 6 Hours – Total: 6 Hours
- 3 pounds pork butt, or pork shoulder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 chopped jalapeño, optional
- This is the slow cooker pork carnitas version. For an Instant Pot, see above.
- First, pat pork dry with paper towels. Combine spices in a small bowl. Rub spice mix all over pork.
- Add pork and remaining ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Once pork is tender, discard all but 1/2 cup of the liquid. Shred pork with two forks. Discard bone(s).
- Optional but highly recommended: preheat oven to broil. Add shredded pork and about 1/2 cup of the liquid to a baking sheet. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and serve.
This awesome recipe and photos were created by OrganicallyAddison.com, we just shared it! They have so many awesome ideas, please check them out for more!