Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 10 mins – Total: 20 mins
- 14 – 16 oz tofu (extra firm, firm or high protein)
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil, divided
- garlic powder
- mineral salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 – 2 medium avocados
- 6 slices bread of choice
- leafy greens of choice
- favorite mustard or vegan mayo, to spread
- Slice and press tofu: Remove tofu from package, turn on it’s side and carefully slice into 3 slabs. Place slabs between 2 clean dishcloths or towels, lay a heavy object over top to press out excess moisture. I used my large cutting board but a heavy cookbook will do the job too. Let set under pressure for about 10 minutes.
- Saute onions: Peel and cut the ends off the onion, lay onion cut side down and cut in half. Slice onion into thin strips, about 1/8 – 1/4 inch. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or medium size pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and browned on the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. If you happen to leave your onions in the pan take note that they may continue cooking from the heat of the pan, pay close attention so they don’t burn too much.
- Pan-fry tofu: Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet or pan. Add tofu and cook without touching for about 4 – 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder after the first flip.
- Prepare bread & avocado: Toast your bread, or not, and slice your avocado. You may even prefer to mash your avocado right in its shell with the back of a fork and spread like butter. I find I use the latter method most often.
- Assemble: Layer your sandwich as you like. I layered mine from bottom to top with mustard (dijon and habanero mix), leafy greens, tofu, sauteed onions, salt & pepper, avocado and more mustard. Every bite was so delicious!
This delicious recipe and photos were created by simple-veganista.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out as they have so many wonderful recipes!