Prep: 45 mins – Cook: 35 mins – Total: 80 mins
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter I used Earth Balance buttery sticks
- 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white onion minced
- 1 cup fresh asparagus chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 14 ounce block of medium/firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated minced onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric optional
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan mozzarella cheese I used Diaya
- salt and pepper
- Spray one 9″ pie pan or four 5″ mini quiche dishesand set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the crust combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add non-dairy butter in small chunks and with a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut into the dough until it resembles small pea sized pieces (a few larger ones are okay). Add cold water and turn over onto a floured surface to bring together. It will be pretty dry, but should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press into the prepared pie pan(s) and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool while making the filling.
- To make the quiche filling heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent and fragrant (about three minutes). Add asparagus and tomatoes and saute for another three minutes until asparagus becomes slightly tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine tofu, nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, flour, onions, turmeric, liquid smoke, lemon juice, and sea salt until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Add asparagus mixture, fresh basil, and vegan cheese and stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon filling into chilled pie crust, smoothing over the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes (less if you are making small quiche) until top has browned slightly and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by MyDarlingVegan.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!